History of St. Patrick Catholic Church
The church that has existed for more than 100 years almost wasn't named St. Patrick. For several months, the parish was unofficially named St. Elizabeth's.
When Bishop Hennessey dedicated the church in the 2000 block of North Water Street (now Wellington Place) in 1911, he decreed that it be placed under the patronage of St. Patrick,
partly because that was the name of the first church in north Wichita and partly because Timothy Mahaney, who donated the land to the parish, requested it be named for the patron saint of Ireland.
Click here to continue reading.